The Strategic Operations Sea, Air, Land and Space forces, commonly known as the SFSO SEALS, is a Strategic Operations Force (SOF) that can be employed in direct action and special reconnaissance operations. SEALS are also capable of employing unconventional warfare, foreign internal defense, counter-terrorism, and other missions.
Entering training to become a SFSO SEALS is voluntary; and officers and enlisted men train side by side. Assignment to BUD/S is conditional on passing the Diver/SEALS Physical Screening Test (PST).
SEAL training consists of the following:
- 4 to 12 weeks STARFLEET Special Operation Preparatory School (enlisted men)
- 3 weeks Indoctrination
- 24 weeks Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL (BUD/S) training at the STARFLEETStrategic Operations Underwater Training Center on Pacifica.
- 5 weeks of Orbital Insertion Training (5 days of simulator training, 4 1/2 weeks of military free fall training on Carrickfergus III.
- 4 1/2 weeks Parachute training (5 days of static-line, 3 1/2 weeks of military free-fall) on Carrickfergus III.
- 6 weeks of zero-gravity training at Carrickfergus V.
- 16 weeks of SEALS Qualification Training.
It is recommended that any prospective SEALS team member read the forthcoming SEALS Manual, and take classes from the Schools of Camouflage, Defensive Tactics, Deployment Methods, Reconnaissance, and Survival, Evasion and Resistance from the SFA.